Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Scene On The Trail - The Accident, Unfortunately

Part of the fun of training, traveling, and racing - besides being out in the world and not at a desk - is sharing the random, humorous, and occasionally enlightening occurrences I have the pleasure to witness out in that world or on particularly lucky days, be a part of.

I wish I could finish the introduction of this feature by segueing to a hilarious description of being chased by a poodle or something.  No such luck.

Less than two minutes into my first bike interval of the day I come across this scene: a taxi driver, out of his rear-windshield-less car, bending over a non-moving, crumpled-on-the-pavement cyclist.  Blood on the pavement and a bike whose entire front wheel and fork had been sheared off - with shockingly cleanness - at the bottom edge of the head tube.  I quickly learned he was not moving by decision, not inability, and among a cacophony of 911 calls, I was tasked with calling The Wife.  "Ma'am, my name is Kelzie Beebe, I'm going to ask you to remain calm, I'm calling from your husband's phone because he has been in accident..."

I have had to make three of these types of phone calls in my life, interrupting the normal flow of conversation to first tell the recipient to remain calm and then make assurances about what hasn't gone terribly awry (i.e he's not dead) because what has gone awry is coming next and will cause a serious course correction in the day, if not week/month/life.

Thirty minutes later, the bicyclist was in an ambulance, the taxi driver was in handcuffs (for a suspended license; he was not at fault since the biker hit the taxi), and Jill and I were planning her driving route to the hospital.  A brand-new bike was still in pieces, as was the bicyclist's face.  Among other things, he split his tongue...that gives me the heebie-jeebies and I have a tongue ring.

I'll stop now that I've likely given Ma Support Staff a heart attack and thus will never be allowed off my trainer again...but it was nice being in the right place at the right time and able to help.  I consider that a particularly lucky day.

I hope Jean-Cyril is ok.  Please be safe out there!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...