Friday, September 3, 2010

Madness in the Mad Town

The Beebe family hit the road for a few days.
Guess where to...
I've lived and traveled to a lot of places in my life, but Madison will always be my hometown.  The size, shape, culture, outdoor activities, and general unpretentiousness all resonate with me - probably because they shaped me!

As soon as I knew we were heading to the Madison, I started making a to-do list.  Unfortunately there is enough to do there to fill a lifetime; a few days barely scratches the surface.

For those lucky enough to spend some time in Madison, a list of things not to miss:
  • Rocky Rococo's Garden of Eatin' on whole wheat crust
Why I do IM.  Along with dark chocolate peanut M&Ms and Diet Coke, of course.
  • Fresh cheese, best purchased from Woodman's West, where the dairy section is larger than the entire grocery store I frequent in DC and every single Trader Joe's I ever been in
  • The Rathskellar in the UW Memorial Union for brats, beer, and people watching from a seat next to the lake
  • Babcock Ice Cream in Chocolate Peanut Butter, available at Babcock Hall on campus, both students, and Woodman's West
  • Frozen custard from either Culver's or Michael's
  • Mickey's Dairy Bar (it's a diner) at the Regent/Monroe intersection
  • Camp Randall on game day, perhaps best only by Lambeau Stadium on game day.  We'll never forget you, Brent!
  • The Capital Square Farmers Market during the summer

Strangely this list is almost entirely food oriented...all the better to visit after IM!  Plus I have to keep my awesome family and friends and a few other holes in the wall to myself.

I'd forgotten what it's like to live in a city small enough to run into people I know just by leaving the house.  Every single one of them seemed affronted by the fact that we have "moved back to Madison without telling them."  Chill, people, just passing through - I'll be back, but not soon enough.

1 comment:

rick & marnie said...

Happy Birthday on the 4th of Sept

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...