Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Affirmative Re-Action

We interrupt this program for a message from my past life.

This will be a rare post for me because when Congress ran screaming from me, I ran screaming from Congress.  It was one of those break-ups where it's not you, it's not me, it's both of us.  I didn't read a physical, printed-on-paper newspaper for nearly 6 months.

But as a used-to-be-on-the-inside outsider, I could not watch the "shellacking" of Tuesday and not say anything.

The House didn't just switch, it capsized.  In 2008 I joked that I would vote for a monkey if it had a "D" after its name.  In 2010 millions of Americans acted on that joke.  The list of innocent victims included the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, Jim Oberstar of Minnesota.  The man is in charge of telling the DOT which roads to fix and how much to spend to fix them and it had taken him 36 years in Congress to earn that position.  I bet the roads of Minnesota are beautiful.  I hope the voters of the 8th congressional district of Minnesota like potholes.

I know many of you members of the Bitch & Moan Political Action Committee think that as it stood Congress wasn't getting anything done.  But do you really think anything more is going to get done with a split Congress? And do you really think current laws and spending are going to get repealed by a split Congress? 

President Obama's current trip to Asia was not a coincidence.  The leader of the free world now has more chance of achieving his goals abroad than he does at home.  The next two years are one long field-trip.

The infinite wisdom of the American electorate has spoken.  Y'all nutz.  

And to my newly unemployed former colleagues: being in the minority after being in the majority suxs.  Take the word of this professional unemployed staffer and use this opportunity to seriously consider your attachment to Congress and future in politics.  [close your eyes]  Where do you want to be?  Don't be afraid of admitting what you see.  My guess is that it's not the basement cafeteria of Rayburn House Office Building.  Now be brave enough to take the first step that will get you there. 

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...