Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ode To A Toenail

We have gone far, you and I,
several marathons or more,
during one of which you became injured.

We all get injured once in a while,
although hopefully not irrevocably,
so I could not blame you
for the blisters and blackness
beneath your surface.

I could only hope
that you would prove
to be a survivor,
resilient and resplendent
in your new slightly
off-au-natural color.

Sadly 'twas not to be.
Our most recent adventures
together proved to be
your undoing.
Literally.

You were the best
big toenail I've ever had,
at least since
the last big toenail I lost
and until
the next big toenail I lose.

You defended my toe stoically
until the bitter dangling end
and went gently into that good night.
And for that, I thank you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...