Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Some Days

Some say the world will end in fire.
Some say in ice.  [Frost]

This is the way the world ends.
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang but a whimper. [Eliot]

And some days end with me sitting, dripping wet and naked, on a bench in a run-down community-center pool's locker room calmly, but ever so efficiently, inhaling a Potbelly's sandwich.

There is a meaningful difference between having enough calories in your system to hit your sessions and prevent a bonk, and having enough substance in your system to prevent a growling stomach.  Each day I keep one-and-a-half eyes on the former interest and only half-an-eye on the later one, and even then with respect to what not to put in the garbage disposal, so to speak.  No solid food 2.5 hours before a run, no dairy until after the last run of the day, as little gluten as possible before any high heart rate work, as much time as possible between consumption of fiber and high heart rate work, yadda yadda yadda...mostly because I like the tops of my shoes to be free of vomit and my stomach absent of pain.

This afternoon, with three sessions in four hours, including transit and changing, I could consume only purely liquid and gel-based calories.  I can consume only so many gels until my body says NO MAS!, especially if I am mixing my citrus.  It was time for real food, stat, or else my arm was in danger of gnaw marks.

But today also ended with a bit of fire and ice.  My sandwich had jalapenos on it, the oil from which of course got on my hands so when I applied lotion there was a bit of a tingle.  Naturally flavored IcyHot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...