Thursday, July 21, 2011

When You're Going Through Hell...

The next (second) installment of the motivation series.  The first one can be found here.

Have you ever found this stream of thoughts playing out in your head?

Here I am, running off the bike...I started riding after swimming so now it's mid-afternoon and it's so much hotter than when I normally choose to run...my brain is already frying like an egg...it's too hot to run as hard as I am supposed to....there's no way I'm going to hit my pace goals...this is going to hurt...i have done so much hard work already today...just sticking to this pace would be so much easier...this last little bit isn't really that important...especially after the work I've already done...yeah...it doesn't matter...la la la...

And thusly you have negotiated yourself out of the (majority of the) entire point of the workout: to get yourself good and warmed-up and tired with hard work, and then throw more (race specific or race prep) hard work at your body.  That is how training works in a broader sense....

Think of it this way: compound interest.  You can't get the interest without the principal, and today's interest becomes tomorrow's principal.  You can't get as much of the intended benefit from the run (meaning as done off the bike, instead of just as a stand-alone session) without the hard work that came earlier on the bike (and in the swim).  

Don't cheat yourself out of profits. The next time you find yourself having the above conversation with...yourself, politely interrupt the dia-monologue and ask "when is the next time I will be right here, with all this hard work already in my body, and able to choose how much interest I earn on my investment?"

Because you know what they say....when you're going through hell, keep going.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...