Saturday, August 27, 2011

FiveHundredTwentyFiveThousandSixHundred

This Sunday is the one year anniversary of my first race as a professional.  This Sunday I will celebrate baby's first birthday by starting my eighth race as a professional.

This Sunday also marks the second anniversary of my first Ironman race ever, as well as the fourth anniversary of the first Ironman I sherpa'd.  (The person for whom I sherpa'd is celebrating four years on by getting married.  Congrats MP and KD!!)

I wish I could say I saw my current life coming those four years - or even those two years - ago but I can't, and any fortune-teller who does likely has a scratch on her crystal ball.  See, I am one of those people who, at the age of six, knew what they wanted to be when they grew up and didn't change it when they turned seven.  But with the scuttling of the Space Shuttle program and something like 300 trainees in the astronaut corps who had yet to leave this planet, I thought it was fair to say my childhood dream could finally be shelved.  But what to replace it? 

If you had told me four years ago tomorrow that I would ever do an Ironman, I would have laughed in your face.

If you had told me two years ago tomorrow that I would ever race as a professional, I would have laughed in your face.

But here I am, four years after four years ago tomorrow, and I'm not laughing.

To be honest this was never my dream.  Because I never thought to have this dream.  Sometimes we get luckier than we could ever have imagined and find things in life we could never have known to wish for.

But now that I'm living this dream, I realize there is more than one way to reach our own stars.  Who knows where I'll be one year from tomorrow.  Or four.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...