Sunday, December 25, 2011

An Epistle From The Great White North

At Christmas time the Austin Energy company erects an O Tannanbaum - wie treu sind deine Blätter! - in Zilker Park, centered around a scaffold tower that the rest of the year supports the tornado and severe weather alert sirens.

The weather outside may be less than frightful and a delightful fire means we have another drought-caused forest fire on our hands, but people flock to Zilker to evoke the Merry of Christmas (and have a taco out of the food cart operating in the parking lot...it wouldn't be Austin without a food cart).



But Christmas Day approaches ever faster and faster, and errands and errands pile up, so that not even an Angel of the Lord coming down and shining his glory around can help ease the mighty dread seizing my troubled mind.




And then I travel half-way across the country with my bike in the midst of the holiday rush, so it feels like I am away in a strange bed, asleep on what might as well be a straw mattress.  What am I?  A king of the Orient that bears gifts as I traverse afar?




All the while I'm thinking to myself, Kelzie, this is what they were referring to when someone said rest ye merry gentle(wo)men, let nothing you dismay.  And I'm all like, YEAH RIGHT!...




Amazon has lost my most expensive package, I'm running outside in weather that requires a HAT!, and I still have to deck the halls with boughs of holly.




Finally I cry out, overcome with stress, "I do not need even one more loud drummer disrupting my sleep!  Tomorrow they had better come with a gift receipt so I can take them back!  Isn't it the thirteenth day of Christmas YET?"




But eventually sitting with my parents on Christmas Eve, I hear the first strains telling me that all is calm, all is bright, and I finally feel a silent night.



Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  -KEB

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...