Friday, February 24, 2012

Dinner For Two Dollah

I made up this recipe out of desperation one night, which surely means it already exists somewhere on the interwebs.  No duplication is intended; if you are familiar with my cooking skillz, you understand my sincerity.

WARNING: If your taste buds equate cilantro to soap, this recipe is not for you. 



Ingredients:

** little da'll do ya of olive oil
** one 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed [I have also used drained and rinsed chickpeas; kidney beans were a let-down because my mind kept rebelling "you forget some of the ingredients for chili"]
** one 15 oz can diced tomatoes, DON'T DRAIN! [I use low sodium diced; stewed also work]
**liberal dousing of dried cilantro [fresh would probably work too]
**half of a big onion, sliced very thin, and then the slices halved diametrically
** optional: I have added steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower when I needed to up the daily vegetable count but it really detracts from the dish's heartiness.

Method To The Madness:

** olive oil and onions into a non-stick skillet over high heat

** when the onions are a bit cooked, but not burnt or caramelized, put the drained and rinsed beans into the skillet

** douse the beans liberally with cilantro

** pour the un-drained can of tomatoes over the beans

** turn the heat down to medium-high and simmer for 3-4 min, occasionally mixing things around

** turn the heat up to high for 1-2 additional minutes to cook off extra liquid and really soften things up

 ** eat, I prefer topped with a sprinkle of black pepper

That's it.  Dinner, and maybe a snack if you are less hungry than I usually am, for $2.00, maybe $2.50 if you don't shop at the Co. of Cost.

I have always debated which nutritional category legumes fall into - carbs or protein - especially if you consume them as the main/only part of a meal.  Are you not effectively omitting one whole nutritive category? 

Well, my nutritionist's response is that legumes are one-third protein, one-third carbohydrate, and one-third fiber, so eaten in a large enough quantity they can fulfill the requirements of a meal.  Although, if you are me, that meal should not be before the last session of the day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...