Tuesday, March 27, 2012

YUK! There's Science In My Oatmeal!

If you have been following my Kelzie Kooks posts, you probably have realized that my cooking is *ahem* unimaginative.  But what I cook is (mostly) exactly what I need, infinitely enjoyable, and better yet, infinitely repeatable.  In fact, this past Christmas, as my mother was serving my family's traditional Christmas morning meal, I told her how glad I was for the break from my usual oatmeal.  But by the next morning, I was craving my usual oatmeal.

The reason it's infinitely repeatable: a place for everything, everything in its place.

The Oatmeal Command Center

Ingredients:

** 1/2 cup dry oatmeal [I use traditional, not quick oats]
** small flood of frozen blueberries [still frozen]
** dollop of honey
** sprinkle of ground cinnamon
** 8 g. of glutamine powder
** preferred amount and type of chocolate protein powder
** 2 tbsp. of ground flax seed

Method To the Madness:

** in a microwave safe bowl, put the oatmeal, frozen blueberries, and enough water to cover the oatmeal plus a little

** microwave on 70% power for 3 minutes

** add the honey, cinnamon, glutamine powder, chocolate protein powder, ground flax seed.

** stir. inhale. chase with coffee and low-sodium V8 .

The basic tenet of my usual oatmeal remains the same, even as the exact recipe has changed over time: everything is included for a reason, aside from tasting good or simply, not bad.  Oatmeal for sustained energy and heart and cholesterol protection; berries for color, taste, and antioxidants; honey or agave nectar for natural sweetness and short-term energy; cinnamon for insulin regulation and anti-inflammatory properties; protein powder for protein and the full spectrum of amino acids; *chocolate* protein powder because I'm human; flax seed for Omega-3s and lignans; and glutamine (an amino acid) powder for gut function and protein synthesis.

A simple, but effective recipe: science that tastes icky on its own, in the lab, when served in a test tube, but develops a certain je ne sais quoi when mixed together in my kitchen and served in a big bowl I bought at Goodwill for 50-cents.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...