Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Music Dump: The Mama Didn't Raise No Slave Edition

As occasionally happens, I have amassed a play list which has withstood the tests of time and the Top 40.  Some of these songs are by artists new to me, but whom I will now follow anywhere.  All of them definitely hit me broadside early on in their first play, to be replayed...frequently.

I thought I would share.

Angola's Lament, by Sam Riggs and The Night People

Now I make my rounds through the fields all day, while the prisoners work their sins away, shotgun perched upon my leg, on a sixteen-hand-tall thoroughbred

Now ash to ash, and dust to dust, you're here because your dreams went bust
Best put that pickaxe in the ground, keep on moaning that lonesome sound



That Wasn't Me, by Brandi Carlile

And you will fall all the way to the bottom and land on your own knife
And you'll learn who you are even if it doesn't take your life


Do I make myself a blessing to everyone I meet
When you fall I will get you on your feet





Odyssey, by The Wyld

Never gonna go wrong with this one
You're dealing with a reckless mind
If you're not here to help me
Don't waste my fucking time


No luck cos I feel I gotta fall sometimes
But I fight on my feet in the street for the dream
Oh lord, gotta live nine lives




** Bonus karma points if you name the Sochi commercial in which this song featured in the comments without Googling it first.

The Draw, by Bastille

Just listen to your friends, trust that they're fair, look in their eyes,
Just listen to your friends, they only care and hope that you're alright



Love Me Again, by John Newman

Know I done wrong, left your heart torn, is that what devils do?
Took you so low, where only fools go, shook the angel in you

It's unforgivable, I stole and burnt your soul, is that what demons do?
They rule the worst of me, destroy everything, they bring down angels like you



** John Newman's album, Tribute, finally finally came out in the US.  It's only one of maybe three albums in the last four years that I can listen to in its entirety, over and over again. 
  
Elastic Heart, by Sia (featuring The Weeknd and Diplo)

And I might have thought that we were one
Wanted to fight this war without weapons


I've got thick skin and an elastic heart
but your blade might be too sharp
I'm like a rubberband until you pull too hard




Raise Hell, by Brandi Carlile

I found myself an omen and I tattooed on a sign
I set my mind to wandering and I walk a broken line
You have a mind to keep my quiet and although you can try
Better men have hit their knees and bigger men have died

At this point it was you and me,
And mama didn't raise no slave

 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...