Wednesday, August 6, 2014

When In Rome, Eat Hatch Green Chilis

Our drive from Pagosa Springs to Sante Fe was so much better in brilliant sunshine than it would have been in gray rain the day before.


Complete with bullet holes
The abrupt change in landscape happened right at the state line, from rolling hills blanketed with pine trees to stratified mesas sprinkled with scrub brush.  Someone clearly said "we don't need any of this New Mexico in our Colorado."







We were in Sante Fe by 12, the historic area by 1, and eating hatch green chills by 1:15.  Hatch green chills are New Mexico’s #1 food export.  When they are in season, they are in everything in New Mexico, Texas, etc etc.  When they are out of season, they are in everything in New Mexico.  

Eventually we hopped a tram city tour.  Despite the focus of selling selling selling in the immediate city center, the tour got us out of the tourist zone and I was able to find some things I really liked.  The city is old and storied in a way I appreciate, and the statue artwork on Canyon Rd. (one most concentrated sections of artist galleries in the country -100+ in <1 caught="" eye.="" mile="" my="" really="">


Get it?
Wilford Gallery.  Go.  Go Now.


Corazon Gallery

The whole historic area is required to maintain the idea of “city different”: all structures must be either Pueblo or Territorial architecture, all residence driveways must be gravel, all structures must be shorter than the Cathedral, all coyote fences must be constructed from authentic materials, etc. etc.  Even before I learned this on the tour, I remarked to Mom that it seemed like everyone used the same interior decorator.  I don’t think I could stand its quaint-ness full-time, but it did inspire me to do my own photographic series of cool front doors.








Everything in Sante Fe outside of the historic area reminds me of Hollywood, FL.  That isn't a compliment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...