Friday, April 17, 2015

Music Dump: The Underdogs, New Kids, Outlaws, Kubrick's Edition

Man, I haven't done a music dump post for a while.  I think because my playlists over the last 6 months have been pretty uninspiring, a mix of many old and few new.  But my most recent?  Not so, my friends, not so.  I like this collection of all new songs so much that I drive around listening to my iPod instead of the radio.  I listened to it twice through on the bus/subway trip from LaGuardia to my hotel last weekend - and didn't do anything drastic when the trip took 2.5 hours.

As usual, it's a random hodge podge, but all the songs seem to follow one of two themes: rhythmic rock (read: X Ambassadors and Florence and the Machine) or acoustic ballads (read: Sia, Amber Run, Ane Brun).  Well, plus David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Beyoncé, and an MJ cover by The Weeknd.

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty Diana, indeed.

Renegades, by X Ambassadors

All hail the underdogs
All hail the new kids
All hail the outlaws
Spielberg's and Kubrick's



The Whisperer, by David Guetta (feat. Sia)

Oh, liberation, comes in whatever form to save me
I am burdened, and then the whisper comes

The drop at 1:32 is as powerful as anything Skrillex ever wrote.


What Kind of Man, by Florence and the Machine
** from their forthcoming album.  SO excited.

To let me dangle at a cruel angle
Where my feet don't touch the floor
Sometimes you're half in and then you're half out
But you never close the door



Waiting Game, by Banks

What if I never even see you because we're both on a stage
Don't tell me listen to your song cuz it isn't the same
I don't want to say your love is a waiting game

When singers like Ellie Goulding and Taylor Swift are asked why they listen to, they say Banks.

Also try Beggin for Thread, by Banks.


Silhouettes, by Of Monsters and Men

There's nothing that I'd take back
But it's hard to say there's nothing I regret



All My Tears, by Ane Brun

It don't matter where you bury me
I'll be home and I'll be free
It don't matter anywhere I lay
All my tears be washed away

She sounds so much like Dolly Parton here - and she's Norwegian.

Also try Do You Remember, by Ane Brun.


I Found, by Amber Run

I'll use you as a warning sign
That if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind
I'll use you as a focus point
So I don't lose sight of what I want



Dirty Diana, covered by The Weeknd (original by Michael Jackson)

At that I ran to the phone
Saying Baby I'm alright
I said but unlock the door
Because I forgot the key
She said he's not coming back
Because he's sleeping with me



Crazy in Love (50 Shades Remix), by Beyoncé

The only good thing to come to out of 50 Shades of Abuse.

Watch here (slightly NSFW; typical Beyonce-like music video).

Bang My Head, by David Guetta (feat. Sia)

Bang your head against the wall
You may feel light headed, but you won't crawl, no, you won't fall
You will rise above it all
You'll find what you're searching for
And you may feel light headed 
You think you're gonna hit the floor
Instead you'll rise above it all



Overload, by Life of Dillon



Goodbye, by Who is Fancy

Once we were a fire burn in'
Now you're just a lesson I'm learnin'
Please believe me
This isn't easy
I just need to say goodbye


Who is Fancy is a true modern marvel: no one knows who wrote the song, sings the song, or performs the music.  Take that Daft Punk.


Rise, by David Guetta (feat. Skylar Grey)

You can take a swing at my ego
You can make a run for my crown
Even with an army of people
You ain't gonna take us down

 Best video is blocked for inset, so watch here (SFW).

Pray to God, by Calvin Harris (feat. HAIM)

When there's no getting through
I won't hold back
I will throw down anything in life, I know now
I've been lyin' on the floor
Sleeping on the ground
I will give up anything in life, I know how

HAIM is rock band of four mid-20s women, so no wonder the guitar line sounds like Lindsey Buckingham's insistently driving beat in Edge of Seventeen, by Stevie Nicks.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...