Thursday, August 27, 2015

Poor Man's Safari

Since every day didn't get a post, nor did they all deserve one, I wanted to provide my basic itinerary for those interested.  As I put up more posts, I will link places on this list to those posts.

Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam
Bukoba
Mwanza (by ferry across Lake Victoria)
Mwanza via Bunda
Arusha
Arusha
Longido
Kenya
Nairobi
Lake Naivasha, including Longonot Crater and Hell's Gate NP
Kericho via Kikopey (lunch) and Nakuru
Homa Bay via Kisii
Mfangano via Mbita (ferry)
Kisumu via Mbita and Luando Kotieno (matatu and ferry)
Kitale
Eldoret
Nyaharuru via Nakuru
Maralal
Isiolo via Wamba
Meru
Nairobi
Malindi via Mombasa
Lamu (bus then ferry)
Mombasa
Zanzibar via Dar Es Salaam (bus then ferry)
Dar Es Salaam 

NOTE: The word "safari" is actually Kiswahili (the main non-English language of East Africa) for "journey".  Africans use it unironically all the time, as if the word doesn't label an industry which has irrevocably changed their countries.  I only did one industrial safari - 2 awe-mazing days in the Serengeti for which I paid 120% of one month's rent.  The rest of my time in Kenya and Tanzania was the unironical kind of safari: a journey.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...