Thursday, September 10, 2015

Africa Has Her Eyes On You


The Big 5 are the elephant, buffalo, leopard, lion, and rhino.


I have a video of this lioness and three cubs that is way too big to blog :(
EDIT:  Success on compressing video files!!


They are so named because if you hunt them, by the time you have killed them, they have killed you.


The Man-Eaters of Tsavo (in Kenya) are slightly fictionalized in the movie The Ghost And The Darkness, but the bridge they were trying to build still sits alongside the Nairobi-Mombasa road.





I added leopard to my list this trip, and thus I have seen four.  Because enterprising numbskulls have poached rhinos to the tenuous brink of extinction, that is likely all I will ever see. 


My guide in Katavi was surprisingly surprised to hear that The Big 5 aren't found native in North America.  He knew of zoos, but assumed that that was just our way of viewing them instead of in the wild.  I had to explain that every single Big 5 in a zoo in the US somehow came from Africa.  

Although honestly, Africa doesn't think you're worth watching.








There are two maned lions in this picture
The above leopard was in this tree; this is where I took those pictures from

NOTE: None of these pictures are edited or cropped.  Africa and my camera were very good to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...