Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Bueller? Bueller?


What (re-)introduction can I provide that tops Dr. Frankenstein's?  None that I can think of.

I truly feel alive, again, after a school year that really did a number on me.  I survived, even thrived by some measures, but the last thing I wanted to do at any point was rehash it in writing.  But spring semester has ended, and I find myself jovial enough to reconnect with you all, on this the 7-month anniversary of my most recent post.

I scrolled backwards in my calendar and thought "wow, that stuff happened...yesterday, it seems like".  It has been an eventful ~210 days.  In very rough order:

* I became the official bunny volunteer at the animal shelter.

* I joined a community handbell choir.  The average musicianship is quite high because it contains so many ringers somehow associated with IU's Jacobs School of Music.

* I have become a dedicated fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins.  They play hockey well, and seem like nice enough people off the ice.  I am decidedly not a dedicated fan of the Chicago Blackhawks.  They play hockey well, but do not seem like nice enough people off the ice.  A Pens-Stars Stanley Cup Finals series would suit me just fine.

* A follow-on from that: I am learning to play hockey.  The next oldest student in my hockey class isn't in double digits for age yet.  At the beginning, I was twice as tall, but had half the skills.  However I have the advantage that I have already learned how to do complex skills with my body, and thus am just layering these new skills on top of a strong kinesthetic sense.  It's a disadvantage to be learning to stand both on the ice and off the ice at the same time.

* I joined a biomechanics study that requires me to wear a FitBit for an entire year :/

* I fostered another rabbit, this one a beautiful whiskey red colored Belgian Hare, named Rosalee.


* I broke my foot (stress fracture that felt unlike any other stress fracture I have ever had) on New Years Day.  Thanks to extraordinarily generic medical care, I was in and out of boot three times with multiple re-injuries until the second week of April.  I had originally been offered a recovery time of 4-6 weeks.  A full 18 weeks later, I am finally running 1.5 miles at a time.


* This spring semester I taught a 3 credit-hour lecture class to 221 undergraduates, while the regular professor was on sabbatical.  My sole assistant/co-conspirator was my grader, an undergraduate who took the class last semester.   Many many times I would look around and think "they're just going to like....let me do this.  Isn't anyone going to check up on me?  Hmmm, guess not."  I will never fear speaking to groups of people ever again.


* This spring semester I completed a 10-hours-per-week clinical practicum at a local high school.  Next year my clinical internship at the same site counts 20-hours-per-week.


* This spring semester I took 9 credit hours of classes that I didn't teach.


* This spring semester I taught triathlon swim lessons at the University's recreational swimming facility.


* To facilitate learning hockey, this spring semester I got a job at a skate guard (you skate during open skate to make sure the Rink Rats don't bother the nicer and less-skating-abled patrons) at the local rink.  My first minimum wage job since the summer of 2000!

* I'm sure there is more...oh yeah, I taught weight lifting at 8 am every morning.  I may have spent nearly the entire spring semester in a boot, but I was not out of shape by any definition.

A good portion of that ended last week.  Tomorrow I start summer classes.  Because of the devolving situation in Turkey, July will most likely be spent in Israel.  Mom and I intend to revive the "Best of the West" tag in August before fall classes start.  


WARNING: For the next couple of weeks I am going to be posting about last summer's trip to Africa.  I need to get those posts and pictures secured somewhere that isn't my head.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Have you figured out how to skate backwards yet?

Kelzie said...

Yup, with cross overs and everything. I actually knew how to do them long ago on ponds, because I think it's in the DNA up there? But I had to remember that I knew. I've ended up not nearly as bad as I make myself sound. I have sticks with curves I chose myself through trial and error, and can do all the shots with varying levels of quality, and even lift the puck on purpose. The biggest hurdles now is that 1) Bloomington only has ice 6 months of the year. The other 6 months you drive an hour one-way to the nearest year-round ice. And 2) when Bloomington does have ice, there is no program that fills the gap between the class for kids, and full-dress (but no check) rec league full of ex-high-school hockey player frat boys. So, I'm stalled for the time being.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...