Monday, July 11, 2016

The Ancestral Pile

When my paternal grandfather died, I was tasked with giving the ancestry speech at his funeral.  Beebe's in the US originate from a member of the English peerage named de Beobe.  I have no idea what his castle in England looked like, but the castle of the Beebe's from South Dakota looks like this.


My paternal great-great grandfather built this house.  He was the town bank.


And this is the memorial library in his honor.


It's not hard to be memorable in a South Dakota town of less than 1,000 people, but what really clinched it was that he started his own town 7 miles away: Beebe, South Dakota.


It's right on the railroad, but you won't be able to find it on any map because...it has three houses, total.


Also making it difficult to find: all the road signs indicating how far Beebe is from the towns on either side of it are in my parents house in Wisconsin.


The most helpful directions I can offer is that Beebe, SD is at the end of this road.


Fun side note: my grandfather was from one town.  My grandmother was from the town 15 miles away.  Beebe, SD is smack between them, but no Beebe has ever lived there.  Occasionally though we visit.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...