Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Long Con

With that gut (literally) check and 7,249 miles behind us, The Best of the West Tour: Summer 2016 came to an end.

Nebraska faded into Iowa, which faded into Wisconsin, where my dad was waiting for Mom and me on the overpass we took to exit the last highway of the trip.

But really it was the end of The Best of the West Tour entire, begun two years ago almost to the day:

August 1, 2014 to July 27, 2016

13,882 miles

14 (or 15 or 16 or 17, depending on how you count) National Parks

Highlights of this second part (highlights from the first part):

* Beartooth Pass
* the Grand Tetons at dawn
* Glacier National Park
* British Columbia
* Cape Alava hike

But really, how do you choose the best parts of a space so vast and ever-changing?  Perhaps the highlights are that I feel I accomplished something meaningful; spent quality time with my Mom; and know my own country (and geography) so much better than I did two years ago.

My interest in exploring as much of the world as I possibly can might be the longest con of all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...